Irrational thoughts

I’m watching the Australian Open Womens’ final.
Caroline Wozniacki is playing. She’s a favourite of mine because when I was in Belfast, she and Golfer Rory McIlroy announced they were ending their engagement. That day in the office, people said things like “Have you heard about Rory and Caroline!?” and “Poor Caroline. How could Rory do that?”. I had no clue who Rory and Caroline were, and figured they were an office couple who had split so of course I wanted to hear more. Turns out Rory McIlroy is Belfast’s favourite son, because he grew up around there and is really good at golfing. (I guess Liam Neeson comes from another part of Northern Ireland.)
Caroline was a tennis champ and his girlfriend and the people of Northern Ireland embraced her wholeheartedly. They became engaged and Belfast rejoiced. Then, a week after they sent out their wedding invitations, Rory called the whole thing off. What a total dick. How could he do that to her? I couldn’t help but care and I couldn’t but choose sides and I was totally team Wozniacki. Everyone in Belfast was, it seems. Caroline had a rough patch professionally after that and I couldn’t help but feel like that swine McIlroy had something to do with it. 
Anyway, Caroline has pulled herself out of the pit and is world #2 now. I’ve been so excited to see her do well in this tournament but now, as I’m watching the final and she is slogging her guts out against Simona Halep, who looks unbeatable, I can’t take the tension. I tried to casually watch for the first set and that seemed to work, then in the  second, I was totally glued to the screen and Caroline lost! I am having irrational thoughts, like if I focus on the screen then Caroline will lose. If I kind of act like I don’t care, Caroline will win. It’s irrational and ridiculous but I’m doing it anyway. 
And while I’ve been writing this, Caroline totally won! 
Hooray! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet, Mate

Dye doubt it

It's time